Yes, you are eligible for medical coverage until you reach 26 years of age.                        

Applying for Medicaid is easy. In order to provide assistance in every county, Medicaid has contracted with the Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) to handle the eligibility and application process for Kentucky Medicaid. This enables you to have access to face-to-face assistance in the county where you live.

If you have any questions or need assistance with applying for Medicaid, please contact your local Department for Community Based Services or call 1-855-306-8959.


Extending commitment is not a right but rather an agreement that you make with your worker and the court system.

You have the option to ask to extend your commitment up until your 19th birthday. You will need to call the Department of Community Based Services hotline at 1-877-597-2331 to request for your commitment to the Cabinet to be reinstated.

There are multiple IL Programs throughout the State. For an up to date accurate list please contact your worker or Independent Living Specialist.

Yes, it is recommended and encouraged for you to gather as much information as possible about any future living plans you may have. You will want to know what is expected of you and what you can expect from the program.


No, You will need to complete this one time for every school that is attended or if you take a break in between semesters.

No, Only Kentucky Public Universities participate in the Tuition Waiver Program.

You will need to contact your schools Financial Aid office to ensure your Tuition Waiver has been applied to your school account.

Five years from date of first entry into school. Although there is a pause on this time while the student is active military.

Check with the college the youth plans to attend and high school counselors regarding eligibility requirements and deadlines.
Foster Care to Success

ETV payments are processed twice a year once in August and then again in February. For a new ETV applicant it may take between 4-6 weeks to receive your first payment.

It is your responsibility to turn in an unofficial transcript from your school each semester for your ETV payment to be processed.

You are allowed to be in the ETV program for a maximum of five years or until you reach the age of 26 as long as you are in good academic standing.

VOC (Voices of the Commonwealth)

You have to submit an application which can be found in the VOC section of this website.

Yes, currently members of the Voices of the Commonwealth can work up to 15 hours per week and are paid $10 per hour for their time plus the cost of travel and meals.  Members also receive a set flat rate for different events such as the yearly conference or state wide meetings.

After you’ve submitted your application it gets sent to Murray State for review. After it’s been reviewed and it meets the criteria you’ll receive an email or phone with the invitation to apply. After the interview process is complete and a hiring offer has been extended you’ll have to complete the Murray State University hiring packet.

You should hear something back preferably between one and two weeks.

Independent Living Specialists

To find an Independent Living Specialist near you click here.